Sunday, October 5, 2008

Canning Memories

On Thursday Anna gave me a call and she had two boxes of pears more than ready to be canned. My mom was leaving that morning back to Canada so I took her to the airport and then headed to Anna's with apron in hand. The experience brought back nothing but wonderful memories of canning with the children and spending those bonding moments. It had been more than 20 years since I had canned. We spent many a summer in Colorado canning peaches, pears, apples and cherries. Yes the cherries !!! (lots of hard work pitting each and every one of them with a paper clip) I remember being so tired at the end of a canning day but the next morning when I looked at all we had accomplished and saw that beautiful fruit in the jars there was a great feeling of satisfaction. Anna thanks for letting me have that feeling that comes with canning once again. Don't they look beautiful??
My mom has been visiting from Alberta, Canada and this is one of the treasures she gave me. It's a phamplet from World War II asking the housewives to can, dry and store for victory. It has suggestions to assist housewives so that there shall be no loss of food.
This is a picture of the pledge to be taken by every housewife in Canada to help with the Food Service in world crisis. You will probably have to click on the picture to see what it says. Very interesting to read.
This is the card you would place in the window of your home after you had taken the pledge!
Thank you Mom for sharing!!! Just a note - in the pamphlet on canning pears they took 4 cups of sugar and 1/2 cup of water to make syrup for 4 pounds of pears. Talk about sweet!!!

No comments: